I am worried I might have occupational asthma. What should I do?

Symptoms of occupational asthma sometimes appear at night and may become better when you are away from work or on holiday.

Because occupational asthma is such a serious disease, you should see your GP immediately if you are concerned. Remember to tell your GP what kind of work you do. See our section on Dealing with Doctors for more information.

In 2012, the Royal College of Physicians issued new guidance advising GPs to question all patients with asthma and other respiratory problems about their job, the materials they work with and whether they start to feel better when away from work.

If your GP suspects you may be suffering from occupational asthma, he or she should refer you to a consultant for tests.