My doctor says I have occupational asthma. What should I do?

If you are diagnosed with occupational asthma, your doctor should – with your consent – advise your employer. Your employer then has a special duty to protect you from exposure to even tiny amounts of the substance that you are sensitised to. This may involve you transferring to a different job with your employer. If your employer cannot do this, you may need to leave your job. If this is the case, speak to your union rep or a solicitor about making a claim for compensation. See our section on Personal Injury Claims for more information.