What kind of workplace hazards should my employer be paying particular attention to if I am pregnant?
This depends on the kind of work you do, but things to look out for include:
- exposure to lead, and certain other chemicals such as drugs and pesticides;
- working with ionising radiation;
- lifting and other physical work;
- exposure to infections;
- exposure to cigarette smoke;
- standing up for long periods;
- inadequate facilities, including inadequate toilet facilities;
- excessive working hours;
- lone working;
- work at heights;
- bad smells which may make morning sickness worse;
- violence, for example if you work with members of the public; and
- exposure to vibration, such as riding in off-road vehicles.