Rights from Day One
All people at work, including agency workers, enjoy these rights from their first day of work:
- the right to be paid the National Minimum Wage;
- working time rights (including breaks, paid holidays and a limit on the working week);
- health and safety protection;
- the right to join a union;
- data protection rights (see the Information Commissioner's Office website);
- the right to be accompanied at a discipline or grievance meeting; and
- protection from unlawful discrimination.
From 1 April 2019, every worker - not just employees - is to have the legal right from day one to a written, itemised pay statement when they are paid their wages. Agency workers and employees already have a legal right to information about their pay and hours.